måndag 16 september 2013

Promoting a twisted image of fitness

There is a blessing in every curse!  What I mean by this is that there is an upside to having a blog that virtually noone reads.  It means that I actually get away with writing some really outrageous stuff!  So I thought I'd just walk the thin line and share some thoughts I have on the CrossFit community!

Before moving on, I just have to come clean and admit that I love the CrossFit community and feel blessed to be a part of it.  This however does not mean that I am not capable of taking a step back and looking at who we are and what we do with my eyes wide open.  here we go!

You are perfect!

Like most all of us I regularly find myself on all kinds of social media looking at pictures, and film of some of the most amazing athletes in our community. I watch people do things we all thought were impossible a few years back, and I am beginning to realize that there really are no limits to what we can do!  We are getting better at everything from gymnastics to weightlifting, and everything in between.
I love watching this and celebrate the fact that these feats open the doors of what we thought possible to others, and helps redefine what you should ask of your trainers, coaches but also your box or gym!  A lot of the things we were getting kicked out of gym for doing a few years are now commonplace in the very same places!  I think this is n no small part due to the impact of our community, and the fact that we so freely share our endeavors on easily accessible media platforms - and for that I am grateful!

So if we are doing all that then what seems to be the problem?  Well I am not sure that there is a problem, but I am wondering if we are also promoting a picture of fitness that leads people to think that it is perfectly normal to be absolutely shredded, and anyone who is not is by default not fit!?

I have lately encountered a number of people (I may have encountered them before, but not thought about it?) who honestly state that they feel insecure about themselves because they are not shredded of all bodily fat, and look like the people they are see online every day.  These are people who work out 3 -5 times a week, eat fairly healthy and are fit by all standards I can think of!
So what could possibly have gotten them to think that they are not fit, and planted an idea of what they should look like in order to be considered fit? The answer is right there in the entries on Facebook, Instagram, bloggs, websites etc.  
I am not saying that we should hide these fantastic athletes, or the fact that they have been able to stick to a diet that most of us could not abide by from 0800h - 1200h - but what I am saying is that we should probably try to have a healthier discussion about whether this is really normal, or if we are looking at some end state athletes and the physical attributes that come from the commitment they have made?  
I think that a dialogue like that would help clear the fog from the eyes of these people who are bashing themselves and feeling uncomfortable in their own skin, because they have gotten the wrong picture to start with?  Looking like an end state athlete is desirable, but is it normal?

I would be easy to sit back and say that this is their own fault, and that there is nothing we can do.  But just as we engage in charity to help those who are not as fortunate as we are are and have found themselves in a situation where they need a hand to make it!  I think it is only fair that we get involved in planting the seed to some healthier definitions of what a fit person looks like?

This may all sound very confusing, but I think you all know where I am going with this!

What do you think?


Wishing you all a great day

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar