torsdag 13 februari 2014

The fine art of being a thief!

Like many of you, who have been doing CrossFit for a longer period of time, I have also had the pleasure of getting the chance to program athletes.

It is a huge responsibility to have dumped into your lap, and needless to say you want to do your very best to make sure that the programming you come up with actually gives the athlete, who has entrusted you with their road to fame and fortune, the best possible outcome. So how do you do this?  How do you make sure that you actually achieve what you have set out to do?  This was a conversation I have with a friend who had just embarked on this journey, but had hit a wall, writers block, or whatever it is called when you cant seem to come up with new and fresh WoDs for your athlete.

Before getting to the nitty gritty details of programming actual workouts, we discussed what goals the athlete had, what physical status the athlete had, How long the athlete had been training, what injuries the athlete had in the backpack and so on and so forth.  Once we had that covered and had established where we were trying to go and what we had to do to get there, we could begin addressing the problem which seemed to be creating actual WoDs.
Being of a lazy nature and true control freak, I have a tendency to lean towards workouts that I have tested before on athletes of a similar nature, so that I know what I am actually getting out of the WoD.  By doing so I know what to look for and I have references of past experiences that will help me get the information I need to steer the athlete towards our common goal, a lot easier!  For the record I have to say that I do build new workouts as well, but I dont mind using WoDs that I have used before - and I definately dont mind using WoD's that someone else has come up with!

Once I introduced the idea of checking in with websites, trainers, boxes etc to find workouts - my dear friend looked at me like I had just stolen the Mona Lisa, and informed me that he would never sink to that level of intellectual theft?
I was surprised at his reaction, and wondered if it was still intellectual theft when these workouts were posted online, and often accompanied with an encouragement to do the WoD's and compare times/weights/results etc?

I guess you could say that he accepted the thought after an extended discussion, but then proceeded to wonder if his athletes would not think less of him since he was not coming up with WoDs of his own?  I have to admit that the thought had never occurred to me that anyone would think this was a problem.  I may be naive but I was fairly convinced the athletes I programmed were more interested in the results they were getting than where the WoDs were coming from, and who if anyone had done them before!
I dont think the problem with Fran has ever been that it had been done before??

So todays thought is this-  I think it is perfectly legit to be a thief when it comes to programming someone, as long as you are not stealing entire plans ie - dont just copy several months, or weeks of your favorite boxes programming.  Dont pay to have some ninja program you and then use this programming on someone you are programming (the reasons are obvious- I hope).
However using workouts from someone else is perfectly legit as long as they fit into the plan you have for your athlete!  Using someones elses WoDs is the biggest compliment you could bestow on anyone!  It is like saying " brilliant thinking buddy!" and where is the problem with that?

So being a thief of programming and picking up the gems from someone else is a fine art, as long as you do it right!  Do you do it right?  Would you scavenge the internet to find the WoD that would give the right stimulus to your athlete, or would you rather re-invent the wheel every single solitary time you try to take your athlete one step closer to his/her goal?

Much love

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar